The enclosed annual report is a summary presentation of our performance over the 2019/20 financial year. We are pleased that SAIDS has delivered an unqualified audit report on our financial and performance management.
Some interesting facts & figures – At-a-Glance
- Urine tests – 1437
- Blood tests – 202
- EPO tests – 66
- Number of Anti-Doping Rule Violations (ADRVs): 54*
- The names of the athletes involved and their length of sanction are published in the Report
- 7 of these ADRVs are from Minors: 6 from Rugby Union and 1 from Athletics (their names are redacted)
- 4 of the ADRVs were “Non-Analytical” (i.e. not related to a “positive test” or “Adverse Analytical Finding”). An example of a Non-Analytical ADRV would be Evading, Refusing, Failing to Submit to Sample Collection
- The use of Anabolic Agents are the predominant class of Prohibited Substances implicated amongst the Adverse Analytical Findings (“positives”), constituting the majority of the 54 ADRVs.
- *2 Cases are Under Appeal and 11 Cases Pending (Athlete names redacted until conclusion of their individual Case / Results Management process).
- 131 In-person Education Events in total (Athletes (jnr & snr) and Support personnel, from School, Academy, Club, University, to Provincial and National level)
- 108 Workshops
- 14 Outreach at sporting events
- 7 Seminars
- 2 Lectures at tertiary institutions (to students attending sports-related courses)
- Majority (~60%) of audience feedback stated that the education session exceeded their expectations
- 1 131 New users registered on the Anti-Doping e-Learning (ADeL) platform
- 775 Users successfully completed an ADeL course scoring over 80%
More details on our operational and financial performance can be found in the full Annual Report 2019/20.